Day 16/15 – Monday 30th March –15 days of Spanish lock down
By popular demand, the daily email and blog continues…!
So, day 16 or 15 days of Spanish lock down…. (in years to come that will look like a typo!)
In Bill Manchester’s world travel stats for the Middle Ages:
Damascus – 80 days
Alexandria – 65 days
Lisbon – 46 days
Constantinople – 37 days
London – 27 days
Bridges spanning rivers were shaky (priests recommended that before crossing, travellers commend themselves to God). The roads were deplorable – mostly trails and muddy ruts, impassable by two-wheeled carts except in summer.
Nights had to be spent in Europe’s wretched inns. Unsanitary places, the beds wedged against one another, blankets crawling with roaches, rats, and fleas. Innkeepers seized guests’ baggage on the pretext that they had not paid.” *
Aren’t you glad we’re past these problems now?!
A friend send me uplifting video today. It talked about how we will look back at this situation in a years time and reflect:
- that there was a rise in small businesses, because all the entrepreneurs had a moment of stillness and creativity.
- that children will remember the time when mum and dad were at home, drawing and playing ball games.
- that we remember it as a time when we got to stop and actually be present.
- a time when our health really was our first priority
- we will remember the laughter and fun on social media
- Facetiming with our friends and family each day
- home work outs with online personal trainers
- a time when we realised who the real heros in our society are – doctors, nurses in the health service
- a time when we were all forced to think outside the box and dream up new things and reinvent old ways
- for once even amongst all the chaos, there was community
- a time when the streets were quiet, but our homes were bustling with love and laughter
That time is coming soon. Like any crisis before it, this will all be a distant memory. A once was, that we will share with our children and grandchildren.
Of course these times are unsettling, but let’s focus on the silver lining. We truly are all in this together and there is so much beauty to see.
*From Jonah Goldberg, Suicide of the West.The Crown Publishing Group and William Manchester, A World Lit Only by Fire. Boston: Little, Brown.
Detached VillaNew Development: Prices from € 3,100,000 to € 3,100,000. [Bedrooms: 6 to 6] [Bathrooms: 6 ...
- 6 6 €3,100,000
Top Floor StudioTop Floor Studio, Marbella, Costa del Sol. 1 Bedroom, 1 Bathroom, Built 35 m². Setting : Beachfront ...
- 1 1 €169,900
Top Floor ApartmentLocation location location! Two penthouse conjuncted into one, in front of the Marbella Marina Depor ...
- 3 2 €695,000
Middle Floor ApartmentFrontline residence, facing the Cortijo blanco beach in san pedro de Alcantara, 10 minutes walk from ...
- 2 2 €318,000